Ben C. Harrison
Ben has represented injured people for over four decades. He has served on the Board of Governors of the South Carolina Workers Compensation Claimant’s Attorneys Association, and received the University of South Carolina’s Law School Compleat Lawyer Award. Ben has been named for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, a highly regarded peer review publication, for nine consecutive years.
After receiving a B.S. degree in Industrial Management at Clemson University in 1964, he worked for Shell Oil Company until the summer of 1966. He enrolled at the University of South Carolina School of Law in September of 1966. There he became a member of Phi Alpha Delta and the Order of the Wig and Robe. He received his Juris Doctorate degree in May of 1969.
He was admitted to the South Carolina Bar in September of 1969. He is also admitted to practice before the United States District Court of South Carolina and the United States Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit.
Ben considers one of his career highlights to be his participation in the tobacco litigation on behalf of the State of South Carolina which resulted in a settlement of over two billion dollars. When he is not practicing law, he enjoys working on his farm, horseback riding and spending time with his wife, Linda, their three children and seven grandchildren.
- South Carolina, 1969
- U.S. District Court District of South Carolina, 1969
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2005
- University of South Carolina School of Law,
- Columbia, South Carolina, 1969 – J.D.
- Clemson University, 1964 – B.S.
- Spartanburg County Bar Association – Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates – Member
- American Bar Association – Member
- South Carolina Bar – Member
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice – Member
- Federal Bar Association
- South Carolina Association of Claimant Attorneys – Member
- Society of Wig and Robe – Member
- Martindale Hubbell – AV® Rated
- Injured Workers’ Advocates
- Litigation Counsel of America
- South Carolina Workers’ Compensation – Educational Association
- Tiger Brotherhood
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, University of South Carolina Law School – Compleat Lawyer Award, 1996
- South Carolina Super Lawyer List, 2009 – 2013
- Best Lawyers, 2007 – 2014
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Blue Key
Awards & Associations
Why should someone come to KD Trial Lawyers?
We literally have it all here. So often, one legal problem is really several legal problems. Our firm is in the unique position to be able to handle just about every legal angle a case may have. We work together as team to see all the issues, which is a rarity these days.
What are your favorite things about your job?
Helping people, hands down. The court system is big and can be really overwhelming to people. I love the ability to help people walk through the system and to advocate for them. Solving problems is the best thing about being a lawyer.
What do you like the most about the law?
I like the challenge. I love the courtroom. I think the opportunity to help people who normally feel like they don’t have a voice in the legal system and giving them that voice is the most rewarding thing we as lawyers get to do.