Federal Crime Attorneys Spartanburg, SC
If you are charged with a federal crime it is important to get help from a lawyer who is not merely licensed to practice in federal courts but who also practices federal criminal defense law on a regular basis.
Being charged with a federal offense is not the same as facing a state criminal charge. Your attorney should be familiar with how the federal justice system works and know how to handle the variety of unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
What Is Different About Being Charged with a Federal Crime?
Facing federal prosecution is different from being charged with a crime under South Carolina law in many ways. These differences include:
- Your case will proceed in federal court: If you are charged with a federal crime, your case will be handled in the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina. It won’t go through a local municipal or magistrate court.
- Federal prosecutors and agents will pursue your case: The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of South Carolina will prosecute your case, not the local solicitor’s office. This is an important difference. Federal prosecutors and the agencies they deal with such as the FBI, ATF, DEA and SEC often have more resources to put towards prosecutions than their state counterparts.
- Different sentencing and prison system: If you are convicted of a federal crime, you may face tougher consequences than you would if you were charged under South Carolina law. For instance, certain drug offenses can lead to longer sentences under federal law. Also, any sentence you serve would be in the federal prison system. As a result, you could be incarcerated in a facility that is a long way from home and family.
Because of these and other differences, it is important to work with a lawyer who:
- Understands distinct aspects of federal law (a body of law that is separate and apart from South Carolina law).
- Grasps the different rules of evidence and procedure that apply to federal cases.
- Knows the way federal prosecutors approach cases.
- Understands how to handle criminal appeals in the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Get Help from KD Trial Lawyers Federal Crimes Attorneys
We can handle a wide range of federal criminal cases, including:
- Complex fraud and financial crimes (these include “white collar crimes” such as mortgage fraud, bank fraud, securities fraud and health care fraud)
- Drug crimes (including the major drug trafficking offenses that are usually the focus of federal prosecutors and the RICO charges that often accompany them)
- Computer crimes (including computer intrusion and Internet fraud)
- Child exploitation crimes (including Internet child pornography charges)
- Firearms offenses
- Public corruption
- Immigration offenses (including employment of undocumented workers)
- Environmental crimes
- Federal wildlife law violations
We can provide many different services in this area of the law such as:
- Seeking immunity for you if you are asked to speak with federal investigators or to testify before a grand jury
- Filing pretrial motions that could result in the evidence against you being suppressed or your case being dismissed
- Working with the U.S. Attorney’s Office in South Carolina to negotiate a fair and reasonable plea arrangement
- Vigorously defending you at trial
- Seeking to minimize the consequences if you are convicted
It is important to take prompt action in order to protect your rights. If you have been charged with a federal crime, contact KD Trial Lawyers today.
Contact us and get started now.
Ready to take the next step? Fill out the short form below to get your consultation started. We will review your information and will be in touch shortly.
Do I Need a Lawyer If I Was Arrested with Delta 8, 9, or 10?
Can the Police Search my Car?
Can the Police Search my Cell Phone?
What Happens if I am in College and Just Got Arrested?
I Was Charged with Domestic Violence: Do I Need A Lawyer?
KD Trial Lawyers Welcomes New Criminal Defense Attorney, Jennifer E. Wells
Traffic Tickets: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Involved in an assault while defending yourself?
Meet Our Criminal Defense Attorneys
We understand that there are two sides to every story. That’s why we do not judge our clients. That’s not our job. Our job is to provide the defense our clients need.
Hear From Those We've Helped Over The Years
In 2019, a friend recommended Wes Kissinger as an Attorney to represent me after I had been attacked by 5 dogs. Once I met with them, they immediately began working on my case.
I feel so blessed to have been represented by Attorney Kissinger.- Barbara L.
I wouldn’t go to any other attorney in the Upstate. Allison is exceptionally responsive, and I appreciate that she always answers questions personally and thoroughly.- Derek L.
Steve Denton is wonderful! He is very honest and efficient! Very easy to get an appointment with and a call back from! He doesn’t sugarcoat reality and I truly feel he cares about your situation.- Lexa M.
Throughout the process, he didn’t make it feel like business – he made it feel like family. Jeremy is professional and personable, and he made me feel comfortable.- James B.
We respect Ryan McCarty for his courtesy and knowledge; he is easy to talk to yet still very professional. I would recommend him without any misgivings.- Sue M.
They truly treat you like family. He was able to get me more money than I thought I would get in my settlement.- Matthew M.
Wes Kissinger and his team are the best. They are very informative and always willing to help. They keep their clients first ...- JJ S.